A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world.
Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Update on Skunk Cabbage! Yuck!

New fact we learned about the Skunk Cabbage last week! Yuck.... I read that bears eat the roots, because it acts like a laxative for them in the spring. They dig it up and eat it after a long winter.


Isn’t that amazing... and yet disgusting!? *Ü*

How ingenuous is that? God and animals never cease to amaze me.We also read that Skunk Cabbage generates enough heat to melt snow that is around it! ??? Again, very interesting stinky little plant!

3 comments:

Tina in WA said...

very interesting indeed!

Thanks for sharing. :o)

Anonymous said...

Heehee, skunk cabbage is one of my favorite spring flowers *grin* I love yellow so seeing them sprout up in the fields after winter is such a wonderful sight even if they are slightly stinky :) Native americans used them as a food source as well. I can't think of what part it was offhand but I'll look in my little handbook tomorrow and let you know :)
Blessings,
Nature Mama

Anonymous said...

Hello again :) Took me a little longer to get back to you than I thought! In my little pocket book of native plants for my area it says that Native Americans used to dig up the skunk cabbage in the spring and cook the roots for eating in times of famine. I wouldn't think that it would be very tasty, probably pretty yucky but interesting to know that they were a food source. We have a lot of marshy areas here and in those really wet places they must just love it because you can find them with HUGE leaves over 2 feet high and probably a super sized root to *grin*
Blessings,
Nature Mama

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/