A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world.
Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

Friday, April 11, 2008

Bone Sigh Not Bon Zigh!

April 8th we went to a garden called Elandan Gardens. If you click the link in the name Elandan Gardens I linked the history of the garden for you.

It was a lot of fun touring the grounds. By the end of our little walk the owner Dan came and spoke to us all about Bonsai. I linked in the word Bonsai the bonsai basics link from the site. Its short but a good overview.



Some of the trees he has in his garden are over 1500 years old, so he claims. On all most all of the trees he has the name of the tree, the history, how he got it and the date of origin. Here are a few of my favorite pictures that I took.




.




Dan shared how he has been gardening for about 30 +years?? If my memory is serving me right. He shared his experiences and he began to collecting Bonsai. He shared how weather conditions and elevation are what can create these tiny stunted trees, when they should be very large!

He has traveled all over in search for and collecting his Bonsai trees. He really has a passion and it showed. The garden was much larger than I imagined. Its been around for years and this was our first time in.


A part of the trip I wont forget, was when I first walked in the shop to pay to go out in the garden, this little guy came and sat on my foot. *Ü*



I do believe he knew by doing so a friendly pat on the head would soon follow. He was right! How could I resist. His name? Sushi. *Ü* The owner Dan told us that he was actually born a Great Dane, but used some Bonsai techniques on him and it stunted his growth. *Ü* Isn’t he cute!

He had 2 other buddies in the shop. This one is Asia.



and Sunny



I want to go back and take another tour. It was an interesting place and had lots to see. I didnt spend a lot of time reading all the tags by the trees, so I would like to take my time on the next visit.

5 comments:

Merry Christmas said...

I love looking at Bonsai trees. Don't know how to do it, but it is so nice to look at them.

Beautiful pictures!

Blessings,
Karen
www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Tina in WA said...

Oh your post is wonderful! The kids keep talking about how to pronouce bonsai. LOL That is one I think none of us will forget. :o)

I have a great time with you my friend!

~Tina

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to have someone with a passion to teach you something that they know.

Nancy said...

Getting a glimps of hwy 16 and seein gthe garden pictures makes me home sick! I came to your blog from the WTM.
My husband works for the naval ship yard and was sent to Hawaii in Febuary...we came along for the ride. Having a great time, but ready to come home!

Lisa~ said...

Oh but Hawaii! Want to trade? lol I’m so glad you stopped in! I just met someone else from the Silverdale area on WTM 2 days ago. They live off Newberry Hill road! Small world I tell ya!

Im going to pop on over to your blog later and see if I cant email ya!

Lisa

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/