A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world.
Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

Friday, March 14, 2008

Green Hour number 4 update....

We are focusing on gardening for the next 8 weeks +, it will actually be all spring and summer and fall and... *Ü* But what we will do is focus on our yard. We have little, ok no landscaping to speak of. Just a front, back and side lawn. Not bad, but I want to attract animals... specifically birds... I have had a humming bird feeder up all year (last Spring) and a few other feeders and I have yet to see a bird other than a crow or a robin! They are so common... I want black capped chickadees or even a pesky Stellar Jay!*Ü*

Now... to begin this plan of ours to garden, RyLee and I went to a local nursery called Clear Creak Nursery on Wednesday. Just to have a look and get some ideas... plus I wanted to see what RyLees fancy was. *Ü* I’m so sneaky...

The first thing we saw were tulips! They are beautiful and colorful! It was so nice to see color other than grey and green... not bad colors, but its all we have seen for about.....5 months.....




We forgot what these were! I guess I have an attention span of a goldfish... lol I should have written it down. We will look it up later and update when we find out.( or go back and look *Ü*)





Now this was a treat! My grandmother had these outside the door of her house. In the spring every time I would walk thorugh the door, I would smell these beauties just before I entered. They are so sweet smelling... I told Ry these were a must... I have to have them. So we will make sure to get these... They are Hyacinths.



At some point, not this year, we would love an area near a garden to place Koi. We could not get over the size of some of these fish! It was like a salmon run!



RyLee and I both decided... we have to have this! Not just yet... but we want to add this to our yard. Firts we need to learn more about what it needs to grow properly... but we fell in love with the Kumquat!




I also signed up for a few classes over the next 5 months.They are only $10.00 each! RyLee only signed up for 1 and thats ok... I want her to only do what she is interested in.... hopefully my excitment for theother things will rub off, and I can "show" her what I learned...

My first class is called Trees for the home orchard. Its a 2 hour class. We will learn what trees grow best in our county, we will cover polination requirments, pruning and how to avoid insects and disease problems....

Gardening with Ed Hume-vegetable gardening. All the basic how toos....

Creating backyard wildlife. Im looking forward to this one as well.

This was our outing Wedesday.... I plan to take Ry to a couple of "real" gardens in a few weeks... I will make sure we post all about it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That nursery has beautiful things.
The tulips and roses and fish are beautiful!

Rhonda said...

Beautiful blog Lisa! Love the pictures. The classes sound like a lot of fun.
~Have a blessed day.
~Rhonda

Tina in WA said...

I saw a humming bird at you feeder last year. :o) I can't wait to see what you yard becomes as you learn more about this focus area. :o)

Those flowers are beautiful. You and Ry had a wonderful outing.

~Tina

Lisa~ said...

I have been at a woman’s retreat from our church... its good to be home! I missed my family! It was fun to see people came by and visited me here too! Thank you…

Tina, the yard is not the focus area but flowers and vegetables are our focus. The yard just gets the benefit. *Ü*

We will be starting small, and add yearly.... but for now our focus will be flowers and veggies... my focus on the side will be the yard...but will not have much to do with a focused study for Ry... then again she will reap the benefits too! Both girls will and even Shawn! lol *Ü* He will haul the dirt for me...

Thanks for stopping by!

Melissa said...

You are doing so great! Those are absolutely beautiful pictures of flowers. My parents have Koi in a small garden pond they keep, they really enjoy watching them. Have fun at your classes, and happy gardening.

Blessings,
Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Lori C., Texas said...

I am following in your footsteps and started my own nature blog! http://intothewoodswego.blogspot.com/
I haven't posted anything yet but plan to soon!:) Thanks for such a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Saw your blog on the TOG group loop. Looks to me like the flowers you forgot the name for are Begonias. I could be wrong, but since no one else had posted, thought I might save you the time to go back and check. Fellow TOG'er in Oregon.

Lisa~ said...

Woohoo! We will look that up! Thanks for stopping in! Fellow Tog'er! *Ü*

Lisa

Dana Leeds said...

I love the photos, too. And, what fun to take those classes! Wish I could join you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics, Lisa. I wish I had a green thumb. :(

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/