A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world.
Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pre Green hour #4


Here we are! Week 4 and challenge 4! I cant believe we have been doing this for an entire month now! *Ü* We have hardly scratched the surface of what we can learn and explore, but I look forward to this being a long lived habit in our home. Nature walks rule! Even if it is right outside my back door. *Ü*


In this challenge we were asked to read again from our faithful Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Comstock.... this week were to read form pages 10 and 11:

The use of scientific names.

What jumped out at me during this reading was this

" The child should never be required to learn the name ofanything in nature-study work; but the name should be used so often and so naturally in his presence that he will learn it with out being conscious of the process."

This means for me, I will be reading and learning a lot! Good thing I’m interested or we might not learn a thing! *Ü* It also means that the walks and exposure are very important and should also become a natural part of our day. Not daily if I can’t... but routinely a few times a week.

I read in one of Barbs recent posts (Fitting it all in)that Barb and her children go for walks daily, but only once a month do the actual Nature Study and it becomes a day long event. This is more along the lines of how I envisioned our study... although I had never thought about only doing one long day of Nature study.... Reading Barbs post just reconfirmed my desires I guess.... and I’m so grateful we have someone to help us and guide us on this new journey.... It is a journey!

Ok... Now for pages 13-15 The Field Notebook

I am enjoying this large book! For years I have had it and been so intimidated by it.... I felt lost every time I opened it! I even bought a very old copy when I found one at a thrift store... and on my shelf it sat..... I’m grateful for the guidance and small bits to chew on...

" b) The making of drawings to illustrate what is observed should be encouraged. A graphic drawing is far better than a long description of a natural object.

c) The notebook should not be regarded as a part of the work in English. The spelling, language and writing of the notes should all be exempt from criticism.

d) As occasion offers, outlines for observing certain plants or animals may be placed in the notebook previous to the field excursion so as to give definite points for the work."

Again... things I need to hear and ideas I want to glean from!The challenge this week was to pick a focus area for our study. We looked online at Ambleside and decided our focus would be garden flowers and garden vegetables (not weeds unless it suits our fancy). So for the next 6- 8 weeks this will be our focus.

I’m very excited. We built our home almost 2 years ago, and we have little landscaping or flowers, we also do not have a garden. So this Spring we will be working on this.... gardening!I went to Barnes and Noble and splurged a bit! At Barbs recommendations.... I wanted to look at 2 books, the first one is called

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew


and The Graden Primer by Barbara Damrosch.


The 2 are really for me, but after reading over a bazillion books today I think RyLee will enjoy the square foot gardening book too. We also bought a field guide to wild flowers just because.... but still need a good book for garden flowers... know of any good ones to suggest?? We are in Washington State. I am still on the look out...


We went for a walk today... down our road and back.... it was about 1 mile total. I didnt bring the camera, we did bring the dog! That in itself was an adventure... We are going to a nursery on Thursday to pick out a few plants and we will be planting some seadlings tomorrow for our garden.... We will post on that too and as they change.


To visit more great green hour challenge posts please visit barbs site at The Heart of Harmony.

11 comments:

Tina in WA said...

Sounds like you all picked a wonderful focus area! Loved your post/thougths. Can't wait to see what flowers you pick out tomrrow. :o)

Missed our walk with you guys this week though. :o( But today (wed.) I am finally feel human again. :o)

Enjoy the sun!

~Tina

Barb said...

Isn't interesting how quickly our feelings about something can change? Who would have thought a few weeks ago you would be going strong with nature study and now starting a garden! Wahoo! I know how much enjoyment our garden brings our family and I hope your experiences will be positive. When I am in my mode working on my garden, with my hands dirty and the warm sun on my back, I think about the Garden of Eden a lot. Gardening was one of the first couple's main jobs....Gen. 2:15. There is something to that connection to the earth and its ability to sustain us through the miracle of seeds and plant growth. I feel close to God in the garden.

Maybe I should write a post about that...hmmm.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and I am so glad you found the books useful. They are well-worn in our household.

I am going to add this link to Mr. Linky for you.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Lisa~ said...

Thank you... I hesitated to link it because I didn’t do anything yet. *Ü* Thank you for linking it! Again, I’m learning… it was enough to be link worthy….but I thought it wasn’t….thanks for confirming what I am doing… it means a lot.

I like your visual you just gave me. About the garden... RyLee and I had such a great time at the nursery.... we have ideas and plans...but only a little at a time.... I’m looking forward to the classes and our discoveries.... it will be a family project.

Thanks again, your the best...


Lisa~

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to use Gardening as your focus area! Hope you have fun getting going with it - ours still needs work doing, but it'll get done eventually!
~Chrissy

Anonymous said...

How great that you have been so inspired by nature walks! They are so awesome! It's been a great blessing for us too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and plans, and enjoy your new adventure into gardening.

Blessings,

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Brittney said...

Oh Lisa! I can't wait to see pictures of your blooming flowers and yummy veggies/fruit! I love that you are going to be putting you nature study to "practical" use by landscaping and gardening! You kids will definitely be taking a personal interest in caring for the yard...did you plan it that way?! ;O)

Looking forward to next weeks!
Brittney

PS Any signs of bears on this walk?

Brittney said...

P.S. again...I forgot to tell you that you can include me on your nature blog thingy. I'll be doing it like you...posting the link on KAA to my Dancing With Dandelions, so just put my KAA please. :0)

Hugs,
Brittney

Anonymous said...

I definitely think this was link-worthy :) I enjoyed reading all you've read and thought about. This is just our third week, but I'm amazed at what we done. And I too am so grateful for some direction with the Handbook. I just bought it, but already I love it, but it is kind of intimidating at 800+ pages. :)

Sea Star said...

I liked those same passages from the Handbook. My Handbook of Nature Study arrived this week. I finally got around to ordering it. I have had it on my wish list for a long time. But the challenges and reading assignments are great to make the book a little less intimidating.

Ms Eva said...

I identified with the same passage as well. We've always been a nature-oriented family but these challenges and the HNS really help put everything into place and provide the connections. I particularly enjoy the community that is building. :)

Anonymous said...

You will love, love, love, love Square Foot Gardening. I have used this method for two years now in sunny, sandy, hot, Central Florida and have been able to grow just about everything year round following his methods. So many locals have trouble growing veggies here due to the heat, sandy soil, and insects.

Gardening is a great focus area and is one that my family loves. My dd just loves to help in the garden now. I wasn't sure if she would like it but now she has a green thumb.

Stephanie in FL

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/