A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world.
Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Green Hour #3! No really...

Well, finally hu!? Green Hour number 3 finally being posted! Im not sure why, but blogging this challenge has been my biggest challenge yet! *Ü* Better late than never I always say. Im sure you have all been around the green hour by now! lol But for more blogs from our green hour tour, please visit Barb over at Harmony fine arts

We went back to Clear Creek Trail and walked the center part of the trail. It was a lot longer than we thought.... uh hem... it took about 3 hours heheh but that also included a stop at Costco for hot dogs.*Ü*

This week,(last week) I was to read over pages 16 The correlation of nature study with language work and page 17 The correlation of nature study and drawing. I liked what is quoted below, along with all of page 16.... but specifically....


"Nature study should be so much a part of the child’s thought and interest that it will naturally form a thought core for other subjects quite unconsciously on his part. In fact, there is one safe rule for correlation in this case- it is legitimate and excellent training as long as the pupil does not discover that he is correlating."


It goes on, but I liked this part. *Ü* I like that it mentions training. I find I will need this training too. *Ü* If I make it a chore, how can I enjoy the process. If its all about reaserch, how can they enjoy it? If its all about the journal how can I keep them excited to write and draw in it? It is a balance.......

This is something to be done consistently and gently. We will learn many things, not just what was observed, but what we think can be expressed as we write and what we saw can be drawn and what was precious can be kept. Its what will make our journals so special. My hope for my girls is this will be a long lasting experience and that we can find peace and relaxation from it. This is my desire for our nature study.....

I’m finding that the fun during the walk, the discussions right after and looking over any goods brought back is where the excitements at!


RyLees notebook/Journal. This week she made her entry more like a scrap book.

We think the 2 trees represented here are the Red Alder and the Western Red cedar tree. The "leaves" indicate as much, but the alder we are not certain. Although Alders are all over our County... I am uncertain if its a red alder. Ry was able to get the male and female catkins for it though! No matter what type of alder! *Ü*




One of the most exciting aspects of the journey was not Costco, but a cute little frog Holly caught. Tina mentioned that the ends of its feet were not suction cups but actually what made him able to "stick" was a sticky secretion or something like that. Last night RyLee was flipping through one of the books we rented at the library and decided she thinks the frog is a Pacific Tree Frog. She read about it in a little book called Take along guide frogs, toads and turtles. By Diane L Burns. Its a small little book and under grade level for her, but it looked cute so I got it. On the side we are going to look into frogs more this week. They are just so cute and she is interested....

One of the reasons it took me so long to blog was I was dreading the pictures. Between Christian and myself I think we took almost 400! Im not going to push things off anymore because of that.... Im just going to post a few of our favorites and hope not to duplicate what Tina posted....








We reviewed the Pussy Willow Click the link, you will see some fantastic photos and close ups!.





What I realized on this walk... is that I need to pay closer attention to what I take pictures of, taking fewer pictures and taking only samples of what will interest us. RyLee was overwhelmed by her selections so we narrowed them down, but even then we forgot what the tree and or bush etc looked like. I look forward to the more concentrated study this week. I need the structure. *Ü*

9 comments:

Barb said...

Really nice....400 photos! Wow, I thought I took lots of photos.

Your blog entry is beautiful and I know you all enjoyed yourselves.

I love the scrapbook approach to a nature journal, mine tends to be that way with things stuck in and taped on.

I think you all are making fantastic strides at making this a life changing experience. It warms my heart.

Did you put a link on Mr. Linky? You need to.

Looking forward to next week.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Tina in WA said...

That was absoultely wonderful!

I love Ry's journal page. I like how you all divided it up. :o)

You're pictures are wonderful!

~Tina

Lisa~ said...

Hi Barb... no I didn’t put our post in the linky... we were so late, I didn’t really think about it till now.... I will go over and post it though....

I think we are finding our way.... this is going to take time and consistency with fewer things we take home and want to look at! Little by little right? *Ü*

Tina... thanks... I divided up Rys notebook and wrote on the out sides... I took it from the HNS page 14. RyLee actually placed more photos on another page but I only showed the one.....

Thanks for commenting ladies!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your posts. We have been trying to journal more about our findings in nature. It was good to let Emily see how others are doing there nature journal. We have done a combination of things from photos to drawings to coloring sheets. Sometimes it looks like a nature journal sometimes like a scrapbook. I have never taken the time to post our findings. Appreciate you taking the time to post yours! :)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jenmcintyre/

Lori C., Texas said...

Loved RyLee's journal. Just wonderful. I am catching the nature study bug! Never thought it would happen. I am to much of an indoor girl!:) I am making a list of places around us to go on hikes and I am asking for a camera for my birthday so I can take some good pictures of our finds!:) I love your new nature blog. What a cute and fun idea!:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so neat! We just started doing nature studies,believe it or not. I love it! It is hard to narrow down so many great pics, isn't it. I'll be back. I need to check into the Green Hour Challenge as I have seen so many posts about it lately. Thanks for sharing.

Brittney said...

I found this truly inspirational and it actually brought tears to my eyes...


It goes on, but I liked this part. *Ü* I like that it mentions training. I find I will need this training too. *Ü* If I make it a chore, how can I enjoy the process. If its all about reaserch, how can they enjoy it? If its all about the journal how can I keep them excited to write and draw in it? It is a balance.......

This is something to be done consistently and gently. We will learn many things, not just what was observed, but what we think can be expressed as we write and what we saw can be drawn and what was precious can be kept. Its what will make our journals so special. My hope for my girls is this will be a long lasting experience and that we can find peace and relaxation from it. This is my desire for our nature study.....

Very well said my friend. Well done!

Brittney

Dana Leeds said...

Glad you went ahead and linked to Barb's blog! I love your daughter's "scrapbook" journal. And, loved the photo with the pink buds. And, the photo of your daughter with the little frog.

400 photos, huh? :-) I often take over 100. I download them and then zoom through deleting anything that is blurry or just not right. Really, that often gets rid of way more than half. Then, I just go through and pick my favorites to blog - it is rarely more than 10-15. I don't know if this will help you or not, but thought I'd share what I do. :-)

Lisa~ said...

Thanks! I take all suggestions! *Ü*

I’m bad at deleting... I don’t know why, but I am... the 400 was a combination of my pictures and Christians... my older daughter... we were shutter happy I think... I went through 4 packs of batteries... no I take that back.. I gave 1 pack away... so between me and sis... 3 packs...

Barb was a doll and linked me... I thought it wasn’t much... but I think I was not focusing on the right perspective at the time... I’m better now! *Ü* lol

Thanks for saying hi! I sure like to know who drops by!

Lisa~

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/