A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world.
Agatha Christie (1890-1976)

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Green Hour Challenge #34

My girls and I love this tree! In fact, we have been patiently waiting for fall to come ( we wanted a longer summer though, thank you very much) so we could take these pictures. We noticed it last year, and agreed to begin photographing it this fall and take them each season. So here are 2 of our favorite shots we got the other morning.... frost on the ground and all.

Its truly a massive tree... I wish one of the kids could stand under it and see a comparison.....but its not our tree or property.... I stood in the driveway of these peoples home... *Ü* If it wasn't so early when we took these, I would have asked the folks if we could get closer... maybe next time.




bigleaf maple (Acer macrophyllum)

Size: Grows to 100' tall and 4' in diameter.

Leaves: Simple, opposite, and deciduous. Very large. Palmately lobed (5 lobes) with the central lobe having a distinct "waist." Long leaf stalk with milky sap.

Fruit: Double samaras in long clusters; samaras joined at right angles; hairy seeds.

Twigs: Buds and branchlets are opposite.

Bark: Grayish or reddish-brown; interlacing ridges and furrows.

Distribution: Bigleaf maple grows on the west side of the Cascades and Sierras from British Columbia through most of California. It prefers moist, well-drained soils


Want to visit more blogs on this topic... join the rest who participated in this challenge at Hanbook of Nature study

4 comments:

Barb said...

What a flaming glory of a tree! Wow, great photos and great info in your post. We saw these for the first time on our Oregon trip and they are glorious.

Thanks for sharing your link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Dalyn said...

great blog! I'm a follower now *U*

Unknown said...

I wanted to take the time to thank you for being a regular visitor on my blog. I saw that you added me to your "followers" list...and I just want you to know how honored and grateful that our paths have crossed in this way, and that I count it a privilege that you visit me. God Bless you! I will be visiting you often, now that we are friends!

Unknown said...

I wanted to invite you to stop by and take part in my Friday sharing time...come by and share what you are learning from God's Word! I'd love it if you can take part in our Friday sharing group!

 
design by http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/